Tuesday 15 March 2016

Bias In The Whale Rider Chapter 8


We have been learning what bias means in class.
I have highlighted all the parts in the Whale Rider chapter 8 that Koro Apirana has been bias to Kahu.
I have highlighted those parts because it shows he is being bias because he thinks he should not love her because she is a girl not a boy and she is the oldest grandchild.
Koro Apirana will not love her because she is a girl and not a boy and in his family the oldest child is always going to be a chief.
In Koro Apiranas family all the leaders have been a boy and no girls have ever been a leader so he thinks that Kahu sould not be a chief even thought she is the oldest grandchild. But on Nanny Flowers side she has had a female leader so she is okay with Kahu being a chief when she grows up.
Bias is only listening to one side of the story. It can be forms of racism,sexism or other culture beflifes. It can involve people forming stereotypes.

My Reflection:

I found it easy to identify the biased parts in the chapter because we talked a lot about what bias means in class so I new more about what bias meant.  
Next time I need to work on finding more biased parts in the chapter because I only got 3.



No comments: